Thursday, December 3, 2009

Two Turtle Doves



On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me:
Two Turtle Doves and



The Turtle dove, Streptopelia turtur, is a recognized emblem of love since the species is renoun for it's strong pair bond. Contrarily to most illustrations of this second verse, the Turtle dove, strickly speaking, is not white.  However, the name Turtle dove is sometimes mistakenly used for the Ring-neck dove (S. capicola) and the Collard dove (S. decaocto). Such confusion strengthens my resolve about the importance of latin names. S. turtur is native to Europe and North Africa, between which it migrates back and forth.


Turtle_DoveImage via Wikipedia
The Turtle dove is brownish with dark and white specks across it's wings and the side of it's neck. This pattern that vaguely recalls a turtle's shell may be responsible for this bird's common name. It's latin name, S. turtur, refers to the call it makes during the male's mating display.
It's tail is wedge shaped. The central feathers are dark with white tips and framed with white feathers on either side. The tail feathers are frequently flaired during flight, displaying the stunning colouration for the pleasure of onlookers.


I have never had the pleasure to observe a Turtle dove in the wild, I therefore leave you with this pretty painting Wikipedia so gratiously presented to me. 
The Turtle DoveImage via Wikipedia







Take care!

P.S. For the sake of my insatiable curiosity, do you have an advent calendar and if so, do you prefer it to hold daily chocolates?


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. 1. I never knew turtle doves were brown. You realize this is now going to be my official ice breaker at all future holiday parties.

    2. Yes I have an advent calendar. And yes, I prefer it to hold daily chocolate, along with an appropriate thought for the day to reflect on while I chew away. Oh, the child prefers her calendar without the "lame sayings" and just the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my advent calendar had daily sayings, I'll have to look out for that next year.

    Let me know how the icebreaker works out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails