Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shepherd's Purse and their Canivorous Seeds

Shepherd's Purse (Capsella bursa-pastoris), a common weed found all over Montreal, a weed I frequently unearthed from my garden, a weed I found cute enough to repot, in a adorable tiny earth pot, and take care of for months before it died of thirst (I like plants, I never once said I was any good at keeping them alive).

Well, this little plant capable of producing 50,000 seeds is CARNIVOROUS!

Actually,  it's seeds are to be more precise, which makes the seed production number quite alarming don't you think? The seeds of the Shepherd's purse are covered by mucilage, a sticky substance, that attracts, captures and digests insects (larvae mostly, we're fine). These added nutrients gives the seed a competitive edge when germinating.

I know right? Not exactly what you expected from a carnivorous plant. Bet you were thinking more on the lines of Mario Brothers, Pitcher plants, Venus Fly traps, and sundews.



Yep, Nature Rocks!




Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails