Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Time in the City : Tulip Watch - week 2

Hello boys and girls,

Today was a dreary day in Montreal but nevertheless, I took my hands out of my warm pockets and froze my little fingers to bring you news from the tulip patch. You can click here to check out last week pictures.

Our little beauties are growing peacefully through the bout of cold weather we are receiving this week, nothing is going to stop them from blooming this year, except maybe those pesky squirrels. I'll be showing you proof that squirrels are absolutely nuts, or at least this one squirrel is. I just have to figure out how to post a video onto You Tube and then place a link onto my blog.

Well, onto the pictures.




There is not much difference to be seen by the untrained eye but if you look closer, you'll notice that most tulips now have three visible leaves and are a little taller. I'll try and put a height reference in future pictures and I've found a physical reference point to take a picture of the same individuals next time. You see, I'm improving all the time.

I just love how the leaves are holding on to the water in the last picture. This is also a great shot to realize that new leaves come from the inside and they wrap around each other, this are referred to as sheathing leaves.

I found this amazing picture of pink/purple tulip leaves, check it out by clicking here.

How are the tulips near your place? Send me some pictures and I'll post them along side mine next week. You can send your .jpeg files to emiliedwolf{at}gmail{dot}com. I can't wait to see them!

Take care!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta] 

2 comments:

  1. we've got yellow and red tulips everywhere near my apartments now--we're in the South though, so i guess we get springtime a little earlier

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tulips i've seen around here, but there were wild (feral?) irises on a hike the other day - that was kinda weird. Love that last picture too...very cute!
    Thanks for the nice comments on my blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails